If you are a student from outside the European Union (EU) or outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you will be required to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Important! The United Kingdom (UK) Government Home Office is the authority which manages visas and immigration in Wales. Please ensure you visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for up to date information on visa requirements and applying for visas.

The type of visa that you will need to study in Wales, depends on the type of course you are studying, the length of the course, and your age.

A Tier 4 (General) visa covers the majority of international students needing a visa to study at a university in Wales. If you are coming to Wales for a full degree course of study lasting six months or more, you will need a Tier 4 (General) visa.

A Student Visitor visa is for students who are over the age of 18, and coming to the UK to study for up to six months. If you are studying an English language course, you can stay in the UK for up to 11 months. As a Student Visitor, there are restrictions on your ability to work. You cannot work in the UK paid, or voluntary, even if it is part of your course requirements. If you want to extend your visa as a Tier 4 (General) you will need to leave the UK, and apply from the country where you live.

Full information on all types of visa are available on the UK Visas and Immigration website. If you need any further information, please contact your chosen university’s international office.