Our universities take student welfare seriously, dedicating staff and resources to making sure your time in Wales is happy and problem free.

Sources of help

When you come to university, you’ll be assigned a go-to person – often known as a personal tutor or academic mentor – for any academic problems that crop up. They’ll be your first point of contact for issues like workload concerns, changing courses or negotiating deadline extensions.

All our universities provide self-help resources online. They range from offering tips on dealing with stress, time management and homesickness to giving contact details for organisations that can offer more tailored help.

If you ever need someone to talk to, there are many people around the campus who have had special training in student support. You can approach your hall warden (if you’re in university accommodation), welfare officers at the students’ union or the student services department at the university.

Our universities all maintain counselling services and mental-health advisors, and some can offer online or telephone advice as well as drop-in surgeries and face-to-face appointments. Every university also has a disability service team to help with issues specific to disabled students.

International students

Special services are provided for international students. Advisers are on hand to discuss practicalities like immigration rules, documentation, finance and post-graduation employment, as well as any issues around daily life and settling in a new country.

Related stories

Student life

How our universities will help you make the most of all the opportunities and experiences on offer outside the library and lecture theatre.

This will shape my career

Welsh universities are committed to producing the most innovative, creative and employable graduates in the UK.