International students may require a visa to study in Wales. It’s essential to consult up-to-date information, and to make sure you apply in good time.

Visa eligibility

Currently, students from outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland need a visa to study in Wales. The UK Government is responsible for issuing visas: please ensure you look up the latest official information. Every Welsh university will be happy to provide further guidance through its international office.

The type of visa that you will need to study in Wales depends on the type of course you are studying, the length of the course and your age. Most international students on degree-level courses of six months’ duration or more will need a Tier 4 (General) student visa. If you’re coming for a year or less to study English as a foreign language, you may instead need a Short-term study visa, which imposes more restrictions on your rights to work while in the UK.

You will need to produce documentation to prove your identity and your course of study – see the UK Government website for details – and to attend an appointment at a UK visa application centre in your home country.

Brexit and EU / EEA / Swiss nationals

As the United Kingdom leaves the EU, the rules for students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland are set to change. If you’re from any of these countries, you should be sure to consult the latest information before starting your application – see the UK Government guidelines. You will also find useful advice on the website of the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

Related stories

The experience

If you come to study in Wales, what can you expect? Here’s the lowdown on the Welsh university experience, from arriving as a fresher to starting a new career after graduation.