There are so many great ways to save money when living in Wales that are simple to apply for and will save you money, so you can do more of the things you love while studying.
1. UNiDAYS and Student Beans
UNiDAYS and Student Beans are free to join! All you have to do is sign up with valid student ID to get yourself access to hundreds of discounts. The discounts are for restaurants, shops, subscriptions, travel and more, and they include popular brands like Nandos, Nike, Amazon, Trainline and Deliveroo. You can benefit from these discounts when you buy online or use directly in selected stores.
2. Student Railcard
If you’re 16-25 years old, you can purchase a student railcard for just £30 and get 1/3 off your train travel across the UK. People with a 16-25 railcard save on average £159 per year or £4.56 per journey. It’s a no brainer and the perfect way to explore Wales affordably!
For example, you can travel from Cardiff Central to the beautiful town of Carmarthen for just £6.25. *
So, here’s how it works:
Step 1: Buy your railcard from the website. Choose either a digital or a plastic one.
Step 2: If you choose a plastic one, always keep it on you when travelling. If you choose a digital one, then download it through the Railcard app.
Step 3: Purchase your train ticket at the discounted price and have your railcard ready to show.
Alternatively, download the Trainline app and upload your railcard onto it. Then, every time you purchase a ticket, the discount will automatically be added to it.
*Price of train ticket as of 04.01.24.
3. TOTUM Membership
A bit like UNIDAYS, TOTUM offers 3 different bundles that all offer access to hundreds of discounts, deals and offers on big-name brands both online and in store.
- The free TOTUM student card is available for one year and gives you access to 350+ discounts.
- The TOTUM student+ card can be bought at £14.99 for one year or £24.99 for 2 or 3 years. With TOTUM student+ you’ll get everything in TOTUM student, a free Tastecard*, a 12-month International Student Identity Card** and Premium discounts (e.g., Garmin, Boots and Fender).
- The TOTUM student+ and Pass ID is also £14.99 for one year or £24.99 for 2 and 3 years. This gives you everything in the TOTUM student+ and proof of age Student ID Card.
*A Tastecard costs £29.99 yearly that gives you access to 1000s of discounts at restaurants, days out and the cinema.
**An International Student Identity Card is the only internationally accepted student card that provides student status verification, thousands of discounts worldwide and access to the global student community.
If you are between the ages of 19 and 21 years old, you can apply for a MyTravelPass that gives you approximately 1/3 off the full adult bus fare on many buses in Wales. So, whether it's a short journey or one taking you further afield, you can save money when you travel.
Once you’ve applied either online, by the post, or via phone call, you’ll receive your pass in the post. It’s that simple. Then, all you need to do is show your pass to the bus driver and you will receive a third off the price of your ticket compared to the equivalent adult fare.
5. Supermarket Rewards Cards
Wherever you like to do your food shop, most supermarkets offer a rewards card that will help you save money. They offer exclusive discounts and the opportunity to collect points every time you shop to give you access to amazing rewards. This is perfect when doing your weekly food shop to build up points and make big savings. We’ve added a few of our favourite ones below:
6. Boots Advantage Card
A Boots Advantage Card is a UK favourite because at Boots you can find anything from health and pharmaceutical products, beauty products, lunchtime meal deals, toiletries and more! The Boots Advantage Card offers great deals on their wide range of products. What’s not to love!
It’s free to sign up and here’s how it works:
1. Purchase something in-store, online or via the Boots app and for every £1 you spend you’ll collect 3 points.
2. Keep building up your points and check how many you have at the till, online or on the app.
3. Then, when you’re ready to buy something, you can use your points value instead of cash.
Wherever you choose to study in Wales, you’ll be able to access these discounts to help make the most of your studying experience. Check out our short video to see some of these discounts in action!