The financial support available for studying in Wales will depend on your nationality. International students can apply for a range of scholarships, grants and other awards.
UK and Crown Dependencies
Funding arrangements are determined by your country of residence within the United Kingdom. See the following:
- Student Finance Wales
- Student Finance in England
- Student Awards Agency Scotland
- Student Finance Northern Ireland
- Education authorities for Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man
EU / EEA / Swiss students
As the United Kingdom leaves the EU, fee eligibility and funding for students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland are set to change. If you’re from any of these countries, international fees will now apply for students starting their study on or from 1 August 2021. Please consult the latest information before starting your application – see the Study UK and UK Government advice.
If you know where you would like to study in Wales, the best starting point is your university’s website. Each institution administers its own scholarships and funding programmes, and the international office will have a good idea of the options available to you.
Established programmes for international students include the prestigious Chevening Scholarships – providing funding for postgraduate courses at any UK university – and Commonwealth Scholarships for citizens of Commonwealth countries to study in the UK.
Global Wales offers the following scholarship programmes:
- Gilman-Global Wales Awards for US undergraduates seeking a period of study in Wales.
- Global Wales Fulbright Awards for the most able US students to pursue Masters degrees in Wales.
- New Chevening Scholarships for postgraduate study in Wales, for students from Vietnam and India.
You can also contact your local British Council office to find out what it can offer students from your country who wish to study in the UK.
It’s worth noting that most scholarships are very competitive. It’s essential to set aside enough time to prepare your application, and to apply early.